POSITION TITLE: Maintenance Technician II
ASSIGNED WORK AREA: UMAR Facilities
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Property Operations Manager
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Under the direct supervision of the Property Operations Manager (POM), the Assistant Property Operations Manager is a full-time position that will perform a variety of duties related to maintenance of all assets. The Assistant Property Operations Manager is accountable for adhering to policies and procedures related to the care and use of UMAR property and equipment, ensuring compliance with Local, State and Federal rules and regulations.
GENERAL FEATURES OF THIS POSITION:
- Inspire team members and others to keep UMAR Mission and Values at the forefront of all decision making and action.
- Uses appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style in the course of daily activities.
- Works with all facets of the organization in a team like manner, recognizing the importance of cooperation and flexibility.
- Effectively addresses issues firmly and promptly.
- Takes a proactive approach in daily situations or events.
- Displays integrity, honesty and ethical behavior at all times.
- Displays flexibility and an openness to different and new ways of doing things – able to modify a strongly held position in the face of contrary evidence.
- Maintains confidentiality of individual and agency information.
- Maintains clear and effective communication with participants, para professionals, management, peers, outside vendors, families, guardians and other service providers.
- Accurately records and provides prompt and efficient notification and communication of issues or concerns involving the upkeep of UMAR facilities and other UMAR property.
- Communicates and reports health and safety related issues and concerns.
- Promotes and encourages teamwork within UMAR to strengthen the organization.
- Facilitates problem solving and creative thinking to empower and support employees to make decisions.
- Regularly and consistently communicates routine information, changes or developments promptly to all affected employees.
_ Problem Solving/Analytical Abilities:_
- Recognizes organizational concerns or issues and addresses them promptly and effectively.
- Obtains complete and accurate facts and detailed information regarding situations to make informed decisions or draw conclusions.
- Displays a conceptual knowledge and understanding in applying policies, procedures and guidelines.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions; performance expectations and competencies for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the duties and responsibilities outlined in this position description. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires schedule flexibility including the ability to work nights and week-ends as required. Employee should have experience with, and cultural sensitivity to work and/or serve a diverse population; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments as well as identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Responsible for all routine and non-routine maintenance of UMAR properties as required; this includes but is not limited to repair of broken items, preventative maintenance measures, upkeep of Agency vehicles, maintenance of fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Works with Property Operations Manager (POM) to anticipate capital needs for the coming year.
- Works with POM on addressing citations of PP&E as noted by various local, state and federal agencies to ensure properties are in compliance with standards.
- Inspects work of grounds contractors to ensure it meets quality standards of UMAR.
- Works with POM on fleet maintenance and procurement.
- Assists with managing service contracts which includes knowing when to call contract service; negotiating rate and making arrangements for contractor to provide service at a property; obtaining necessary paperwork (W9, proof of insurance and workers comp).
- Works with POM on capital projects to ensure compliance with budget, contracts, local, state and federal agencies.
- Works with ARC on HUD homes to determine the needs of those properties and accomplishes the tasks as directed by POM.
- Forms relationships with volunteers in the church community (working with Development) and oversees their involvement.
- Works in conjunction with Maintenance Technician.
- Performs basic plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and etc. work as necessary.
- Works within the electronic work order system; ensures quick and efficient completion, closes out work order in the system within one month of entry.
- Makes recommendations for implementation of proactive maintenance systems.
- Assists in developing and implementing maintenance processes to be used agency wide.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Post high school or trade education a plus.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in the trades.
- Must be able to perform lifting tasks e.g. lifting of file cabinets, furniture, etc.
- Valid NC driver’s license.
- Time management and organization are essential; other critical skills for this position are planning, problem solving and flexibility.
- Ability to build relationships with community stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a comfort level working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and develop positive relationships with people UMAR serves.
- Must be able to obtain storm water certification and pesticide license.
- Must be able to follow through on assignments independently.
- Work output must be at a competitive level.
- Must be able to follow through on assignments with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Must have the ability to frequently change routine and maintain a positive attitude.
- Interpersonal skills must include empathy, responsibility, individual coping skills, and good judgment.
- Must be able to solve problems as they arise.
- Must have stable work behaviors on a daily basis.
- Must be able to maintain good work attendance.
- Must be able to respond appropriately to emergencies.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment to maintain a safe work environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid NC Driver’s License.
ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS POSITION:
Knowledge of all lawn equipment
Ability to use power hand tools
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
1. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs, bend, stoop, and reach.
2. Must be able to tolerate heat and humidity.
3. Must be able to inspect and work on roofs.
4. Must be able to navigate attics and crawl spaces.
5. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
6. Ability to interact and write sufficiently to perform the essential functions of the position.
7. Must be independently mobile on all surfaces and situations and be able to move safely about a work area and the community.
8. Must have the physical stamina to work at least 40 hours per week.